As the world is becoming more interconnected and awareness arises from the happenings from the furtherest corners of the Earth, then we will eventually encounter famine. We are lucky in many ways, we have the internet, a roof over our heads, and enough disposable income to head to the shops or grab a coffee of two. We rarely ever think about the need to collect firewood or ask “where is our next meal?”.
Famine in modern times is not just a discussion on the lack of food, but also, poltical stability and climate change. All of these factors are increasing the severity and frequency of famine around the world. Get your students talking and discussing these factors and what, as a global community, we can do to stem the suffering.
- Language level: B2+
- Aim: Talk about the issues involved in famine
- Learner type: Teens; Adults
- Time: 45 – 60 minutes
- Activities included: Discussing quotes, conversation questions, presentation, image discussion
- Topic: Famine
- Language: Any
- Materials: Text and images
- Download the PDF talking points page: Famine ESLTalkingPoints PDF
- Download the PDF images for class: Famine Images PDF